July 20, 2008

The Importance of English

My First post with the Writer's Lounge and I am damn nervous as I don't think I am much of a writer.It's because of my brand new Blogger Friend Stephen that I am here.So thanxs Stephen it's a huge responsibility which I hope to fulfill.

English is a language that now has a global recognition.Infact,after hindi it is supposed to be the national language of our country.But despite that,only a handful can speak the language the way it should be spoken.The obvious reason for this is that 70 % of India's population lives in the rural part of the country and a fare majority of our population is lower-middle class (if such a term exists).But even if you discard them,there still remain only a handful of them who have a proper command over the language.We,in this cosmopolitan world tend to ignore this particular fact.

I am writing this post for a particular reason.There are these two girls in our class.Both stand 1'st and 2'nd respectively.They are brilliant in whatever they do,be it C- Programming,Technical Quizzes,getting prizes in fests and ofcourse scoring high marks in every semester,and yet they don't seem to get placed in any single company.Now without being judgemental about them,I can only find one reason for their plight.Their Spoken English is well,Pathetic.They seem to eat up their prepositions and conjunctions whenever they speak.But the worst part in all of this is that it is not their fault.They both have studied in a Marathi medium school and then had to make a transition to a "English" driven Junior College.I really feel sad for them.As easy as it might sound to make a transition from Marathi to English,let me tell you it's not !!.I mean the trouble I had to face in learning Marathi in my school,I guess the same trouble these girls might have faced in learning English in a Marathi Medium School.My Friend who volunteers for the Teach India Campaign(http://www.teach.timesofindia.com/ ) tells me how fascinating it is to teach English to the people who don't know it properly.He feels elated when he passes the same knowledge that he learnt from his English Teachers.

I would like to conclude by saying that according to Raj Thackarey,Marathi should be made compulsory in every English Medium College.I Completely support that,Please do....but at the same time kindly also make English more stringent and use it more often in a Marathi Medium School as only the latter will be used to enhance and build India' Future globally and not the former :)

15 comments:

  1. dont be nervous dud...this was a good post and we expect more of this kind

    yes even therez a guy from my div who tops everytime ...but hez not placed till now...thats coz of the same reason u mentioned in ur post...and yeah even i volunteer for teach india

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need more of people like you. :)
    English, as it is already said, a universal language and we need to be well-versed in it to excel in the world.

    I also want to point out another fact, English deserves respect, like any other language. Why do people use sms-lingo online? and with loads of symbols and capital letters scattered all over the post, they think it is cool, It on the contrary is a torture to eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, great post!!!!

    very well expressed, giving all the aspects importance.

    cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a really meaningful post... even i ve seen people struggling with english... and i m glad that people are actually taking an initiative to help them out.. nice job anurag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I would like to conclude by saying that according to Raj Thackarey,Marathi should be made compulsory in every English Medium College.I Completely support that,Please do"...first of all you support a cause like teach india...and then u come out with this yaar...india has a lot of languages bro..learning tamil in tamil nadu, malayalam in kerala, telugu in andhra, kannada in karnataka, oriya in orrisa, assamese in assam, gujarati in gujarat...do u have any clue as to what a child is being subjected to? i have done my schooling in different states...making a language compulsory only adds to the pressure...i would learn the language by peer to peer interaction if i want to yaar...making it compulsory is in no way justified...still, good post...

    ReplyDelete
  6. dont be nervous yaar...we are all friends here...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. dude hez already placed in infy......hez narrating about a person in his class

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ sandeep
    may be you have a point but I was forcing my point more strongly that English be more stringent in Marathi Medium School....No Issues..Peace !!!

    @ Mona,Aqua girl,Solitary Writer and "A"
    Thanxs :) !!!

    @ Solitary Writer
    U need'nt hv mentioned that :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are definitely improving! :)

    I love the thought and I think with a little more dedication, you will go a long way!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm yeah but i thot i wud mention that too

    hehe any ways it was gr8 that u wrote about it...

    yes anindita ,
    rightly said he has a long way to go

    ReplyDelete
  11. @anurag

    arre man..peace! i never took up a fight yar...was just givin my views on the same...i really appreciate ur post and how well you have brought out the points...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its such a sad state of affairs. I wish that English had not become so important that one's talents and gifts are overlooked when the language skill is poor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just a little correction. English isn't considered a national language by any measure of thought. The constitution defines it as the "official language", which translates to it being the language used in official paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohk ty for ur corrections bhusham or bhisham or who ever u are........

    ReplyDelete

Comments are sexy.