July 31, 2008

Being A Mother


There were tear drops on his face. His nimble fingers were closed. His body was bent and he was starving. Even the petals were sad. The moment I saw my three month old baby in such a state, I ran towards it and gave him water. And then, it bloomed. After a few hours, he was back to his own naughty self. My baby, I call him Silence! Others call him the China Rose plant.

The day i was gifted Silence, I was so happy that I hugged him and put him in my room's balcony. He has been a wonderful companion. I play with him for hours and I make him sleep with me in my room at night. He is so delicate that he tans in the slightest sunlight. He is very naughty as well. He never lets anyone else touch him. He bites! Only his mother can touch him and give him comfort. I have been so lonely at times, but it all seemed to vanish the moment I saw Silence's laughing leaves.

It was never easy to be a mother to Silence. It meant patience and hard work to see him grow. I had to take extra care of him as I had to leave him for eight long hours with my mom. But, my mom always reported me that he showed no interest in her. Even when I was away, I kept thinking of Silence, silently. Lost in his dancing petals as I frivolously scolded him.

His bright red petals always made me feel proud of him! It was so good to see him grow so fast. Many a times, he fell ill. There were times when he did not respond to any stimuli. Just sat there with a sad face and dejected soul. He often scared me then. But he was my sweetheart.

I was gifted Silence as a part of a prayer. And the day the wish came true, I had to return it. And it came. The day my child was taken away from me. It was heart breaking to see someone else take him with her. She was so ruthless to him. She did not even care to water him. I had cried the whole day. The separation had shaken me from within.

But, as days passed and I was just left with his baby pictures, I moved on. I accepted that he was gone for good and the day he would grow up, he would be handsome and pretty. And there he was. When I saw him after few months, he was as big as the size of my palm. I smiled as I touched his petals. He recognised me and gave me the same feeling of warmth and intimacy!

That day, I came to know, why my mother was so touched the day when my brother left India to study! And today, when she sees him as a grown up man, she feels proud and her smile has such a satisfied glow!

3 comments:

  1. hey shruti

    wowww great post.....i dont have that plant and am too lazyt for that n all....btw its a good post

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Ste
    I can know how lazy u r..
    :P

    ReplyDelete

Comments are sexy.